I’ll be writing out development logs here from now on.
The first orders of business for this development version were some unexpected additions for GMxJN:
- To integrate the ability for multi-server communication. This allows for the client to communicate with both the game server and the master server.
- To add functionality for inter-Java-server communication. This allows for communication between the game server and master server.
My primary accomplishment with the new game server was to give the master server a way to index them and later send them over to the client. While I briefly considered a Minecraft-style fend-for-yourself approach to users finding servers, I decided to opt for the Valve-style centralized index of user game servers. Each server carries with it a customization name, three customization tags, and a 16×16 logo. The master server also tracks the players and max players. Client-side, the index looks like a more advanced version of the single player map selection menu. The menu allows for ascending and descending sorting by max players or players, as well as searches for tags or names. This degree of indexing was possible thanks to the servers being stored in an Apache Derby database server-side.
Now that I’ve missed my mid-December goal by a long shot, I want to go without any specific goals for a while. That being said, I won’t be getting lazy. I want to work on Creo with most of my free time. I’d be lying if I said Overwatch (an early holiday gift) wasn’t a driving factor in my recent slacking, but as I come back from vacation I intend to curb the time I spend playing it. Speaking of holiday and vacations, I will be away from my computer until early January. The good news, however, is that all of my college applications will be submitted by about-then as well, meaning I will have that weight lifted off of my shoulders.
Flora and Fauna Part II:
Also known as The Hardly Working Update (get it? Because it hardly works?). No update video.
So, About Mid-December…
While I still could meet this master deadline, I’ve failed the Flora and Fauna Part 2 update deadline by two weeks (should be out within a day of writing this post). I greatly underestimated the process of adding all of the back ends for ores, trees, mobs and more. I ended up rewriting the entire server to use the GMxJN framework that I made. Speaking of GMxJN:
A long overdue update-
- I just want to fix some bugs, make a tutorial and add a couple more features.
- I paid a guy to do it. I got other shit to do.
- On hold.
I crucially underestimated the business of school and the tediousness of some of this stuff I’m working on. A new release should (at least I hope so for my future self) be out tomorrow.